Sunday, August 1, 2010

MMA Fighter Bubba McDaniel Interview



Bubba McDaniels has fought all over the country against tough opponents against the likes of Gerald Harris and others. Bubba McDaniels opens up during this interview about his perspective of mixed martial arts and how MMA is more than just fighting.


How and when did you get into mixed martial arts?

I got into MMA in Sept. of 04’; I started training at the local youth opportunities center on the east side of town in Wichita Falls, Texas. I showed up and started getting my butt thoroughly kicked daily because they were a hardened group of guys who DID NOT welcome outsiders. Once I proved to them that I was not just some guy that wanted to run around in a fight shirt and claim to be a fighter they started to actually train me. I was 21 years old at the time and had fought a couple of toughman contests because I thought I was a tough guy by doing that, but I was DEAD wrong!

Have you competed in any other forms of martial arts competitions besides mixed martial arts fights?

I have competed in 2 grappling tournaments. The first one I competed in, I went 0-2. In the second grappling tournament, I went 2-0. Besides the two grappling tournaments, I only competed in toughman contests. MMA has been about the actual fight for me. I want to learn everything in a way to be able to string it together with the rest of my fight game.

Besides mixed martial arts, what other hobbies do you like to do on your free time?

FREE TIME? WHAT FREE TIME? Ask anyone who trains with me now or anyone who has ever trained with me. I eat, sleep and breathe MMA; its my life. I would guess I would say I like to go watch movies or listen to music that I can sing along to. I suck at singing, but I still love to do it. Sometimes I get a call to play softball or go play golf. I enjoy both of those things in my free time, but it is very few and far between.

When is your next scheduled bout and how are you preparing for it?

I just fought twice recently within 3 weeks of each other, so now I am looking for the right fight, for the right money, in the right organization. I feel like I have paid my dues and have proven that I’m no push over for anyone. I want someone to put into me what I put into this sport. As for my training, I never stop training and staying in shape, I never know when that one call will come in which will put me on the map.

You have fought many great fighters like Gerald Harris, Kala Hose, Alexander Shlemenko, and others. Who has been the toughest opponent you have faced so far in your career?

What makes one fight tougher than another? I have had many fights that have presented new problems to face that have given me a fit in the cage, but have forged me into the fighter I am currently. My first amateur MMA fight showed me a new level of fear that just to be in a cage against another man (Joey Spencer). My second amateur MMA fight showed me what REAL fatigue was in a fight and the courage to keep pushing for a win. Also, the ability to fight off a choke that almost ended the fight before it started (Toby Duarte). My second pro fight showed me humility. When you realize that you are not ready for the big leagues and you got more stuff to work on. My fight against Gerald Harris showed me that even when you think that you’re doing well and you think you will be fine, you need to be most cautious because it IS a fight and it can shift on a dime. Alexander Shlemenko showed me that even when someone is hurt; it doesn’t mean that they have lost their drive to fight hard at all costs to win. I needed to finish when the opportunity arose instead of thinking that it will present itself again. There are a lot more lessons I have learned the hard way but that would have taken days to write.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors)?

Anyone in my life that has helped me train or helped me stay in this sport and supported me knows who they are. They know they are precious to me and that’s all that matters. Well, I have had one guy put an actual money investment into me. He knows who he is too and knows he has done more than any one man should. He gave me a roof over my head, be able to train and the way how I want to train.

If any other "sponsors" want to put some REAL time and money into me, I’ll prove to you that I’m PLENTY worth the investment.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search