Tuesday, August 3, 2010

MMA Fighter Jimy Hettes Interview



Jimy Hettes is only twenty three years old, but has already made a splash in the mixed martial arts world. He is currently an undefeated fighter with all his wins coming in the first round. We were able to get an interview with him.


How and when did you get into mixed martial arts?

Well, I was wrestling when i was young and I started boxing at fourteen years old. At the age of sixteen, I started doing jiu-jitsu and really became obsessed. After doing a few tournaments, when I was eighteen years old, I decided to give mixed martial arts a shot. I really liked how real the fighting was, and it was as close to a real confrontation as you can legally get.

What was it like fighting Binky Jones, a veteran of mixed martial arts, and being able to submit him in just less than 30 seconds?

It was a great feeling to say the least. I grew up watching his fights. So, it was a great opportunity for me to fight him in such a nice event as Shogun. Having that opportunity, I knew I couldn’t waste it or let my emotions get in the way of what I really had to do.

All your wins have come by the way of submission. It’s safe to say that you are mostly comfortable on the ground. What was your favorite submission you were able to lock in during your fights?

Yea, submissions have always come pretty natural to me, but I have really been working on my judo and boxing relentlessly with real good results. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciative all my submissions but my favorite one thus far has been the Achilles lock against a good opponent in Jay Haas. I like to use leg locks a lot in practice. It was good to have the opportunity to throw one when it counted.

Besides mixed martial arts, what other hobbies do you like to do on your free time?

MMA takes up a lot of my time. In my free time, I like doing relaxing activities such as walking my dog (Nahla), playing video games, and doing anything outdoors. They are all great ways to let my body heal up and stay busy at the same time.

What is your ultimate goal you want to achieve as a mixed martial artist?

I really don’t have a goal when it comes to MMA. It’s not something Ii do for any purpose. The martial arts are something I simply can't see myself living without. I can see myself being seventy years old and still doing judo or bjj. So MMA is just a reflection on how I live my life.

None of your fights have gone past the first round. Do you always try to finish your opponent as quick as possible?

The way I was taught jiu jitsu is to always go for the finish. When I get in the fight, there is no hesitation when I see an opportunity; I go for it. I have simply been fortunate to have those opportunities.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors)?

Without my coaches it wouldn't be possible. Thanks to all the guys at Swoyersville Submission Wrestling, Gracie NEPA, and Worldclass Boxing. Thanks to all my sponsors who help me eat every day, mma melee, Free Hurt, Tattoo Fightwear, Submission Effects, Bamf Mouthguards, Assassins Industry, Policy Collection, and dr. James Jiunta.



1 comment:

  1. Hey I made that fight banner at the top!!Haha

    Jimy is a great guy from the coal banks of nepa! Rising star

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search