Friday, July 30, 2010

MMA Fighter Joe Garcia Interview



Joe Garcia is a young and upcoming mixed martial arts fighter trying to make a name for himself. He definitely has what it takes to make it big in the mma world. We were able to sit down with Joe and conduct a 1 on 1 interview.


How and when did you get into mixed martial arts?

About three years ago my buddy and I, Chris Kleman, (who now is the 185 champ in our league) we’re talking about the growing popularity of the UFC and how we wanted to give it a shot. He had been a standout wrestler his whole life and I was a boxer, so we figured we had a pretty legitimate chance. So, I began training Brazilian Jiu jitsu at one of Saulo Ribeiros academies. At age of 17, I hooked up with Pro fighter, Rick Fitch, who set up my first fight.

What gym do you train out of?

I train out of Elite Sports academy in Tiffin, OH. We have some of the best athletes around and our training regimen is enough to break someone both physically and mentally. We put ourselves through the ringer on a daily basis and we have about ten Title belts at our academy to show for it.

What is your ultimate goal you want to achieve as a mixed martial artist?

I want to be the best, period. I want to one day be known as one of the best pound for pound fighters of all time. More importantly I want to make enough money so that my mom can quit her job. I would like to be able to take care of my mother, as well as the rest of my family. My family and I have never had it easy growing up, ever. One day, not only do I want to give my mother a great life, but to also repay her for all the stress I have put on her as a teen. I believe there are people, who are great at fighting, and there are great fighters, and I want to be a great fighter. I want to use my skills in the cage to put myself in a position to do good things as a human being.

What is the hardest part of the mma lifestyle that people do not know about?

The MMA lifestyle, as a whole, is something you have to be physically and mentally ready for and it requires a lot of adaptation. It means no wild parties, no drugs or alcohol; You really don’t have time for a big social life if you train all day, every day. Not to mention the bloody noses, black eyes, hyper extensions, twisted ankles and boxing fractures. I put myself through physical and mental torture long before I dance under those lights, and I don’t think just anyone could walk a mile in those shoes. Everyone wants to be the next Anderson Silva or Georges St. Pierre. They want to wear the Tapout shirts and boast and get the girls, but 99% of them don’t have what it takes to put in the time. I wish they would show more on television about what we put ourselves through in order to get ready for a fight. It’s not easy.

You have traveled all over the Midwest area. Where do you like to travel the most or is it strictly business with you?

I think my favorite place to fight is in Tiffin. We always get a ton of people that show up, plus I’m surrounded by fans and people that I know. The crowd gets so loud and I love to put on a show for them.

Do you have any upcoming fights scheduled and what are you doing to prepare for them?


Yes, my next fight is August 14th, which is two weeks from this Saturday. I’m competing for Havoc Extreme Cagefighting and it will be against Brandon "diesel" Adams. I have been training 5+ hours per day and working on every aspect of the game as well. I spar, train BJJ, and train wrestling every day. I also do power lifting and circuits. Brandon Adams likes to come out with guns blazing, so I have been telling my sparring partners to come right at me during training and to be ready for his explosiveness.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors)?

I would like to thank God, because without him, none of this would be possible and he has given me so many blessings in my life. I would also like to thank my mother for being the greatest mother ever, as well as my sister for being so supportive, and my trainer Rick Fitch. And last, but not least, all my family, fans, and training partners. No Color Line Clothing cannot be forgotten as it has supported me from the very beginning.

7 comments:

  1. I love you Joe....and with the determination you have shown over and over with MMA and your skills this is all you Joe, you will make it big and I will always be right there as your biggest fan. keep it up!!!! .....love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodluck bro keep up tha hardwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell Yeah... Proud of you man !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lookin good joe nice SPEEDY finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful ...u are an inspiration .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i beat brandon adams ;) Bobby "the hitman" doane<<<<<

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe I am so proud of you Joey! You have arrived, next stop Evander Hollyfield,


    PS watch your ears BRO

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search