Saturday, March 6, 2010

WEC Fighter Courtney Buck Interview



Courtney Buck is a featherweight fighter who is currently fighting in the WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting). We had the opportunity to talk with Courtney and this is what he had to say.

How did you get into the sport of mixed martial arts?


I got into the sport because I love competition, especially one on one competition. Hand-to-hand combat is the most ancient competition known to man and I wanted to be a part of it.

Most featherweights stand between 5’5” and 5'7”. What kind of advantage do you have standing at 5’10”?

It's still rather weird to me that I'm considered a big man as far as height goes because I originally fought at 155 and I was a tiny guy at that weight class but I'm also really lean so it kind of evens itself out. My reach and my ability to keep distance will always be my advantage, I just have to be patient enough to capitalize on that aspect of my game.

On average, it usually takes most MMA fighters 2-4 years to make it into a premiere fighting organization like the UFC or the WEC. It took you only one year to be signed to a WEC contract after turning pro. How do you mentally prepare yourself fighting in front of thousands of people in the WEC?

It's still rather surreal to me that I've made it to the WEC this soon. I've only trained a few months longer than I've actually fought. I started training in March of 2008 and my first fight was in October of 2008 with no previous background in any martial art nor wrestling at all, so I have to learn many things on the fly. I was learning things the other guys already had programmed into their DNA at this point, but it also made me easy to coach and train. To me, it never mattered how many people watched my fights. I've done exhibitions in front of 30 people or so and fought in front of about 800 on the local scene in Minnesota. Mentally, I remind myself that the cheers, jeers, screams and madness will not bring me a win, so the only people I try to hear are my corner men when I'm in that cage.

The Brandon Visher fight didn't turn out the way you would have liked. What went wrong in that fight and what do you think you could have done differently?

Oh man, the Visher fight was a heartbreaker. That was the first time I'd ever been stopped, but I didn't feel like I was over matched. I've watched that tape many times and I've realized how rushed and impatient I was in that fight. I was able to dictate the pace but I didn't take advantage of my reach. I caught him early and ran into him, but didn't use good technique on the ground. In hindsight, if I had been patient and sat back I think I could have earned the "W", but that fight also taught me so much. It's weird how much wisdom can be gained in four minutes and forty-five seconds.

Your fight with Fredson Paixao is tonight in Columbus, Ohio. Can you describe the training schedule you have endured to prepare yourself for this fight?

For this fight I trained short sessions in the early mornings and afternoons and full sessions at night working on ground defense and different striking combinations focusing on using my body to gain the biggest advantage possible. I had three weeks notice for the fight so I was able to put together a solid camp.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors)?

I would love to thank my wife who has really allowed me to let it all hang out and chase this goal, all my friends and family in Burnsville, MN, my trainers Mike, Jeremy, and Ryan, all the hardworking guys and gals from Minnesota Top Team, Missy Germain and everyone at Bitten and Bound. And thank you, chief (The Buried Athlete), for even thinking I was worth your time. It means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search