Thursday, March 4, 2010

Vince "Romance" Ramos Interview (MMA)



Vince Ramos is a budding MMA fighter coming out of Midwest Training Center. He is currently 7-0 as an amateur and is making his pro debut March 12th, 2010 on the Ruckus Entertainment card. (Tickets available here)

What inspired/motivated you to begin mixed martial arts?

I have always loved the sport of mixed martial arts. The part I enjoy most is there is so much to the sport. It is impossible to say you know everything, because everyday you learn something new. I love the sport.

Before you got into MMA, you were one of the best Illinois high school wrestlers in 2007. Was the transition from wrestling to mixed martial arts difficult?

The transition was not difficult, it made the transition to learning jiu-jitsu easy. My hardest struggle has been my stand up game, but my stand up has improved greatly through daily technique sessions with my head coach Alex Trujillo.

You fight as a featherweight. How hard is it to cut weight for a fight and how much do you usually need to cut to make weight?

Ha, the featherweight situation! Cutting weight is never fun. I usually walk around between 165 and 170. I work one on one with my strength and conditioning coach Edson Castillo. He has really helped me put together a 10-week training camp and diet. I want to do my best at featherweight and if the day comes I would be open to putting on size and becoming a legit lightweight.

You are currently 7-0 and have a fight coming up soon. This is an impressive record in mixed martial arts. Do you think you are going to stay and fight in the regional promotions to get more experience or do you think you are ready to make the leap to medium level promotions like the King of the Cage or even the WEC?

To be honest with you, experience is always good. I would love to get some experience, but if the opportunity comes I will not pass it up. I believe people do not realize how fast I have picked up the sport of mixed martial arts. I have been training seriously for about 13 months and what I have accomplished in this time is great. When the time comes I promise I will be ready for the next level, I know that for sure.

When people think of Vince Ramos, should they perceive you as a stand-and-bang fighter or a ground game expert?


Ground game for sure. My wrestling is very overlooked, but people don't realize I turned down many Division 1 wrestling scholarships to pursue my dream. I was a Big Ten D1 wrestler for Indiana University. My jiu-jitsu has really picked up a lot. I work with brown belt Alex Trujillo and purple belt Dennis Dombrow. They really have taken me under their wing and worked with me a lot one on one.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors, etc)?

I would like to thank my family, my older brother Frank DeFilippis, my head coach Alex Trujillo, my strength and conditioning coach Edson Castillo, my training partners, LVRG Clothing www.lvrglife.com, Connie's Pizza, and Chicago Toy Store, and my girlfriend Brianna for putting up with this crazy schedule... Thanks for the support everyone!!

LVRG MMA Apparel

1 comment:

Custom Search