Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jake Mullin Interview (McMurry University) QB



Jake Mullin is the starting quarterback for the McMurry University Indians. Mullin has a remarkable story in regards to how he started playing football. Last year, he had one of the highest YPG averages in the nation. We were able to get an interview.


According to the McMurry athletic website, you are listed at 6’3 - 225 pounds. You have the frame of a Division 1 quarterback. Were there any Division 1 schools interested in you?

I had zero attention in high school. I was 6'2'' 190 lbs, so I wasn't looked at by anybody for football. It's a pretty crazy story about how I'm playing sports right now; but I didn't play football until this year, I took 3 years off. So the answer to your question is no.

You are one of the best Division 3 sophomore quarterbacks in the nation. You still have two more years until you graduate. What are you trying to improve on?


I need to improve on decision making. I have some of the best coaches in the country at any level, Hal Mumme and his assistants. I made mistakes early in the season late in games. Decision making can always be improved.

Many people believe that those who play football in college solely aspire to make it to the NFL. However, most Division 3 players focus primarily on their academics. What do you want to pursue as a career if baseball and football don't work out?

I want to try and pursue nursing if everything doesn't work out. We have a great nursing program in Abilene so that''s my goal.

You were a standout player on your high school baseball team. You currently play baseball at McMurry. Which sport do you like more, baseball or football and why?

I love both, but football is where it's at for me. Being in control of everything on offense is what excites me. I can change the game more by being the quarterback than playing right field. Taking 3 years off was a challenge but I've gotten much bigger than the last time I played. My freshman year, I grew an inch and put on 30 pounds. It's McMurry, just helping you out there.

Are there any stereotypes about Division 3 football or baseball that you want to clarify as false?

When people hear Division 3, they immediately think we're scrubs who play at this level because we're not good enough to play Division 1 or 2, but that's bull. There are a lot of guys at my level that have the talent and ability to play up but we choose to play at this level because we set up a good foundation. I've been asked many times why I don't transfer up, and I think to myself, why? I have great coaches who have contacts in the next level so I stay at Mcmurry and do what I do.

1 comment:

Custom Search