Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jack Corcoran Interview (Rutgers) Fullback


Jack Corcoran was a three year starting fullback for the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University. He is ranked as the 4th best fullback in the nation by nfldraftcountdown.com and is currently preparing for the NFL Draft.

Describe your career to us at Rutgers; was it all that you hoped for coming out of high school?

My career at Rutgers was a great learning experience. A lot of things I've learned were off the field. I think the program teaches players to grow up quickly and become independent. I made a lot of good friends and I will have some great memories playing at RU.

What qualities should a fullback have in order to be successful at any level?

I think a fullback needs to be tough, mentally and physically. I describe it as the never back down mentality.

Because you played the fullback position, your statistics from college won’t catch too many scouts’ attention. Your specialty, blocking, is not a measurable stat. What can someone in your situation do to improve their draft stock and show that you are worthy of an NFL roster spot?

Being a fullback, you must show that you can handle the constant pounding and win the battles with linebackers. Being versatile is the way to get noticed. Fullbacks must be good athletes because we are asked to do a lot of different things.

Unfortunately, you did not receive an invite to the Scouting Combine. Regardless, nfldraftcountdown.com ranks you as the 4th fullback prospect in this year’s draft, and projections show you may be drafted as high as the 6th round. How are you approaching the draft from a mental standpoint with so much uncertainty surrounding your draft status?

I do not look at the projections because I don't like to worry about things I can't control. My mind is more on training and preparing for the upcoming season. I know I'll be in a camp somewhere, regardless if I get drafted, so I need to be ready for my opportunity when it comes.

If football wasn’t part of your life, what career would you pursue and why?

I'm not sure what career I would pick. I think about life after football a lot but I'm not set on one thing. Maybe real estate because that is what both of my parents do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search