Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Derek Doerfler Interview (Baker University) Kicker



Derek Doerfler is the starting kicker for Baker University. He is the best kicker in the NAIA and is on many NFL teams' radars.

You were an amazing high school soccer player. Was the transition from playing soccer to kicking field goals in football hard?

The transition wasn't too hard because I played goalkeeper and the goal kicks were pretty similar to kickoffs. I also spent a lot of time in high school kicking field goals for fun.

What was the reason you decided to play football instead of playing soccer at Baker?

I decided to play football because I had a serious injury to my left foot my sophomore season(lis franc fracture).

What is the biggest difference you can think of between playing in the NAIA and the NCAA?

The biggest difference would be the crowd and size of the athletes.

There are many NFL draft websites that believe that you have the kicking power to be signed by a NFL team as a free agent. Are you going to pursue an NFL career or is there another career choice you plan on executing?

I'm 100 percent dedicated to trying to be an NFL football player!

As a kicker, you need to be flexible. What are some of your stretching techniques?


The flexibility really comes from all the kicking I do. I'm not really into stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search