Tuesday, August 10, 2010

MMA Fighter Lucas Taber Interview



Lucas Taber is a MMA fighter who has fought for promotions like the King of the Cage and Gladiator Challenge.


How and when did you get into mixed martial arts?

My first exposure to MMA was really an accident. At the time, around 1999 I was a Marine in Okinawa, Japan; and I had no idea what Mixed Martial Arts or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was. I had heard the term "UFC" before, but in my mind I associated it more with pro wrestling and worked fights than I did combat sports. I had a friend who would tell me stories of another friend who trained in jiu jitsu. I decided to see for myself what all the fuss about this guy was. Needless to say, I got a quick, first hand lesson in the "gentle art" by a much smaller man who had half the physical strength I did. The first time he submitted me, I was like a young child being exposed to magic for the first time. I didn't understand it, but I was completely amazed and awed by it. After our session, he took time to explain to me about the UFC and its history. A few weeks later I came across VHS copies of UFC 2 & UFC 4... I was hooked. I became an instant fan and began collecting videos from all over the world, reading and watching whatever I could about Jiu Jitsu, MMA, and submission grappling, and their histories. As soon as I returned home to California, I immediately found a phone book and began my Jiu Jitsu training. Like so many other people, the more I began to grow and learn in Jiu Jitsu, the more passionate about it I became. There were a few years that I had to take away from the mats due to severe injuries unrelated to Jiu Jitsu training, but when I was able to roll again and looking for a new place to train, a mutual friend introduced me to Thomas Denny. After only a few days, Thomas asked if I was interested in fighting MMA. I considered myself a super fan of MMA and a pseudo-analyst of the sport, but I had always thought about fighting as a "someday I might" sort of thing. I went to work right away, training and learning the skills that would make me a mixed martial artist, not just a grappler. "Someday" had come much sooner than I had ever expected.

Currently you are working on achieving your black belt in BJJ. What would it mean to you when you finally earn that prestigious black belt?

Everyday, in some way, I'm working towards getting my black belt in JiuJitsu. That is one of my ultimate goals in life. I couldn't tell you how I'll feel when that day comes, because it'll be the culmination of so much for me. "Success is the journey not the destination," and it is everything and everyone I've met or learned on this journey that would make it so special. More important to me than "receiving" a black belt is "earning" it. I don't want to be handed a black belt for my time in an academy, like so many people are today. More important to me than receiving that belt is putting my name in the history of Jiu Jitsu beside some of the greatest competitors and instructors in the world; men, who I have followed, studied, admired, and looked up to throughout my journey. When that belt is finally wrapped around my waist, I want to know that I have the respect of my peers and the Jiu Jitsu community, both through my on the mat abilities and as an instructor. That is what's really important to me.

Besides mixed martial arts, what other hobbies do you like to do on your free time?

When I'm not training, watching, or daydreaming about MMA or Jiu Jitsu, I'm probably near water or daydreaming about being near water. I love the ocean, swimming, surfing, boating, floating, beaches, islands, lakes, rivers, pools... you name it. I don't watch too much TV, but I love movies. My DVD collection is enormous; I spend too much money buying movies, renting movies, and at the theaters. I've always loved movies. I'm into most sports. So many MMA fighters and fans I know don't like or follow too many other sports outside of combat sports, but I do. I like all sports, but I'm a big fan of NCAA football and MLB baseball.

When is your next scheduled bout and how are you preparing for it?

I don't have any fights currently planned or set in stone. My goal for this year was to get back to improving fundamentals and basics in training, and stay as active as I can, both in the gym and competition. I wanted to fight as often as I could, just to stay continuous. Earlier this year I broke my arm while sparring. The training accident resulted in my arm being completely casted for almost 6 months. It was a disappointing setback, but I plan to get right back to the gym, and hopefully I will be fighting again soon.

What it’s like to train with a MMA veteran like Thomas Denny?

My first experience with Thomas Denny was the exact opposite of what I expected it to be. Before I ever met Thomas, I had seen him fight live and had heard all about his "Wildman" reputation. That wasn't the image that I wanted to represent this sport and I had an image in my head of Thomas Denny as a wild, flamboyant, thuggish brawler. He was a true life example of, "never judge a book by its cover." Not at all what I thought of the "Wildman," he was clean cut, well spoken, and very respectful. I hadn't even met him yet, and he was giving clear, concise, accurate instructions as I was sparring lightly in the ring. I watched as he did the same with some of his own fighters. It was immediately clear to me that Thomas had an underrated vision for the technical aspect of this sport. I hear many MMA writers, analysts and so called pundits of this sport write Thomas Denny off, or refuse to take him seriously because of the "Wildman" image, his up and down professional record, or maybe because of some lackluster performances... Don't let any of that fool you. As a coach and a mentor, he is absolutely phenomenal. I trained with Thomas for nearly 5 years and I was always amazed when we would travel to MMA events together, and world champions and coaches from the UFC and Pride would come and ask him for advice, tips, game plans, and strategies. I've been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit and train all over the world at some of the most prestigious and best regarded gyms in this business, and still haven't seen too many that can put the details into training and preparation like Thomas can. Thomas truly is a veteran of the sport and he brings that intricate knowledge of not only the tactical side of fighting, but the physical and mental preparation as well like few else I've seen. He gave me a lot of tools and help inside and outside of the sport, and he never asked for anything in return. I'm very thankful to have started my MMA career with him, because it's given me a lot of insight I don't think I could've gained anywhere else.

Is there anyone you would like to thank (coaches, family, sponsors)?

There are so many people who have supported me, befriended me, and helped me along this journey... it's amazing. My best friend, Rachael for always supporting and motivating me. So many of my coaches and instructors who have inspired me and given me the greatest gift of knowledge; Thomas Denny, Jean Jacques Machado, Wander Braga, Bob Chaney, and many others. I'd like to thank the great fans of this sport, who keep it alive and continue to make it grow beyond everyone's expectations every day! THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search