Sunday, March 21, 2010

MMA Fighter Will Brooks Interview



Will Brooks is a rising MMA fighter training out of MTC.

How and when did you get into mixed martial arts?

Before I started training I was actually in college playing football at Harper in Palatine, IL in 2007. During that time, I actually suffered a knee injury that kept me out of football and I felt like I wasn’t doing anything with myself. I was watching the T.U.F TV and that was the first time I ever saw anything that had to do with the UFC and I fell in love with it and my buddy actually told me about a gym that he was training at which was MTC. I trained off and on during 2007 and then I stopped for a couple of years because I wanted to focus on college and trying to play football again. Things didn’t work out how I wanted them to and during that time all I could think about was getting back into the gym. 2009 rolled around and one day I finally just decided that I was going to commit to training and making it to the big show and so here I am training as hard as possible and following my gym at MTC.


What was the worst injury you ever sustained from training in the sport?

-Well actually I’ve been really lucky so far; during all the training I haven’t suffered any really bad injuries. I have had small injuries but nothing I can’t train through.


How would you describe your fighting style?


Right now I’m not really sure. The sport is so strategic you have to be able to adapt and change game plans depending on who you’re sparring with or fighting. If I just had to say though I would say that I’m more of a counter fighter. I like to stand in the pocket and slip punches and throw fast combination kind of like BJ Penn.


When is your next fight and how will you be preparing for it?

My next fight is in Addison, IL on April 24th. I’ll be doing what I do every day training as hard as possible with some of the best trainers and fighters in the Midwest.


People see how the best UFC fighters live, driving expensive cars and living in mansions. These fighters only represent 1% of all fighters. What is the lifestyle of an MMA fighter like who hasn’t yet made it to and succeeded in the UFC?

Man, it’s tough. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s still tough for those guys who have made it but for guys who haven’t it’s a battle to stay focused. Sometimes because we all set goals and people have the tendency to get a little impatient in the process to make it to the big show where we all want to be. Sometimes it’s the everyday grind that starts to wear you down. Some guys work regular jobs and then come to train after. Other guys have to work and take care of a family and then come train so it’s tough for guys who haven’t made it yet, but this is the life that we chose when we decided to take this journey so we battle through. That’s why it’s good to get in a gym where everyone can stick together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search