Thursday, March 4, 2010

Caleb Jennings Interview (Emory & Henry College) RB



Caleb Jennings is the starting running back for the Emory & Henry Wasps. He has won a lot of awards including an All-American selection.

In 2006, you played in the high school football state championship game. Where would you rank that game compared to some of the other games you've played in?

The state championship game was one of the most memorable moments in my football career. There are a select few who get the chance to play in this game and it was one of the most magical feelings I have ever felt in football. However, this would not be my favorite game. The number one game I can remember playing in was my sophomore year in high school. My uncle died unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm. That was on a Thursday. The next game was one of the most emotional games I have ever played in. I did not run the ball too much during that year, however I was the punt returner. I scored twice on 4 punt returns that game and had over 165 return yards. After that game, I broke down emotionally when my father told me how proud my uncle would be of me. As soon as that game was over, we drove all night to make it to his funeral the next day in Mississippi. That has been by far my favorite game I have ever played in.

You are listed at 5’7 and 175 pounds on the Wasps roster. How are you able to be such an effective running back at that size?

I do not see me as a devastating running back. I know that I have a job and that is to run hard every play and never quit no matter what odds I have been faced with. You have to have heart. Running the ball has everything to do with the people that are blocking for me. I have to give a shout out to my offensive lineman, fullback, and wide receivers. From right to left tackle we have Brady Buckley who replaced our best lineman, Brad Lester, after he tore his ACL in the third game of the season. The right guard was James "Swole" Harriston, our center was Eric Tilson, at left guard was Ryan Elliot, and left tackle was Ben Johnson. My wide receives varied. The ones that come to mind are Josh Castle, also my main blocker for punt returns, Greg Swaford, Fred George, and Johnathon Hawkins. My fullback who is by far the best in the nation and also my best friend, Cain Ringstaff, whom I have known and played with since I was 5 years old. He was a transfer down from UVA where he was playing fullback and came here to play running back and blew his knee out. He came back but was never where he was before he left, so he made an unselfish move to help the team and moved to fullback where he made me who I am. He is one of the toughest guys I know. He has played with a broken bone in his foot, a broken hand, and a cyclops lesion in his knee from his ACL surgery. I am going to miss him blocking for me. But in regards to your question, I just run hard and want the ball in my hands every play. It might seem selfish to some people, but that is what competitors do.

Were there any Division 1 schools scouting you during high school and what made you pick Emory and Henry as the school you want to play football for?

Division 1 schools did not think too highly of me because of my size. However, when bigger schools were down here recruiting our QB and wide receiver in high school, they would always talk to me and tell me..."Man I wish you were a little bigger". That drove me crazy. The only school that looked at me at that level and offered me a walk on was the University of Richmond. They showed interest in me, but I did not feel they wanted me enough. When I was in school one day (at this time I was dead set on going to Richmond), I was walking through the hall and my head football coach told me that E & H was here and he wanted me to go to listen to their head coach Don Montgomery. I told him it was a waste of time but he made me go anyways. That was one of the most influential times in my life because Coach Monty really told me some things no other coach has. He said that I had a chance to play my freshman year returning kicks. I thought about that and realized if I was going to college to play football, I actually wanted to PLAY and not sit on the bench. I came up for a few visits and then I made my decision.

What are some of your goals for next season?


My goals for next season are pretty simple. I want to WIN. Not only win the ODAC but win in the playoffs too. I know we have the talent this year. We just need to come together as a team and let things click. We have experienced somewhat of a roller coaster ride here. We win a few games and then lose two. We cant have that happen next year. Individually, I want to be named first team All American again, Win the Lanier Award again, break every statistical record I can at this school, and also in the nation. Also, I want to win the Gagliardi award. However, these goals do not mean anything to me if we as a team do not win the ODAC and compete for a National Title because that is what I am here for, not just to break records and get nationally recognized.

Can you describe how it feels to be named first team All-American and win the Lanier Award in the same season?

The feeling is great to be named first team All-American and winning the Lanier Award. However, those are just titles people give you. People look at me now in a totally different way. I have to work harder than anyone else, lead by example, and push myself harder than I have ever done before because I know people are gunning for me now. Titles are nothing to me. I see myself as the Emory & Henry running back who has a great team in front of me. Football is a game played by eleven people. If one person does not do their job, the play does not work. It is a game of inches and I know when I am in a huddle with those guys that I can look them in the eye and know that they are going to fight for every single inch and they know I am going to do the same for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search