Friday, March 12, 2010

MMA Fighter Dave "Pee Wee" Herman Interview



Dave "Pee Wee" Herman is a professional MMA fighter. He has fought for several promotions including EliteXC, Sengoku, Bellator and is currently 16-1.

It is pretty ironic that your nickname is “Pee Wee” considering that you are 6’5” and 240 lbs. Is there a story behind your nickname?

Most MMA fighters all have the same kind of nickname. First name, look how much of a bad ass I am, last name. Originally I did not want a nickname but one day people were messing around and throwing out some really stupid ones and I was going along with it and suggested that. It stuck and I've been Pee We ever since.

There are rumors that you are currently signed to a deal with Shine Fights. Did they sign you exclusively or are you still allowed to compete in other promotions?

I am not currently signed with Shine Fights. I would be, but I am having some trouble with Bellator at the moment. They failed to follow through with several promises made to me and breached our contract. I don't know how long it will take to get it resolved. However, I am still signed with Sengoku in Japan.

Not too many MMA fighters get the opportunity to fight in Japan. What is the biggest difference between fighting in front of a Japanese crowd and an American crowd?

In Japan the audience is very respectful no matter what. They understand that both people trained very hard for the fight and respect that even if the fight is what would be considered boring in America. They also know a lot more about submissions and ground game and enjoy watching them in fights. In America, it seems like everyone just wants to see a knockout. In Japan you will never hear anyone boo a fight or a fighter which is common here in the US.

Can you briefly describe a typical training day you go through preparing for a fight?

Lately my typical training day has been starting at 10:30 AM. I do jiu jitsu for at least an hour, sometimes it will take two. At 7:30 PM I work on my striking for an hour and a half. If I have a fight coming up I will add in an extra practice in the middle of the day.

What was it like fighting a legend like Don Fyre?

I enjoyed meeting Don Frye. He is a great guy and fun to be around, and he is always saying hilarious stuff. From a fighting stand point the opponents are all the same from my perspective; it doesn't really matter who I'm going up against.

Do you have anyone to thank (coaches, sponsors, family)?

I would like to thank my trainer Ed Clay and my gym Nashville MMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search